Monday, April 2, 2018

Cleansing with Sage

Sage is used to cleanse a number of properties. I've been interested in using it purify my gem stones, tarot card deck, and home spaces. 
As I mentioned in the first post, my aunt brewed sage spray for me. It's meant to cleanse my energy and help promote calmness.
Various cultures around the world have used smudging (sage burning) in spiritual ceremonies. In North America specifically Natives would place resins and herbs to burn over hot coals from fire, a practice known as "Sacred Smoke Bowl Cleansing". They would then use smudging sticks and feathers to smear and spread the ash.
When sage is burned, the aroma helps with meditation which is why this practice is often compared to the burning of incense seen in Chinese culture. 
"The theory behind smudging is that the smoke attaches itself to negative energy and as it clears it takes the negative energy with it, releasing it into another space to be regenerated."
The aromatics are meant to drive out bad spirits/energy from whatever the smoke is drawn towards.
Not only does sage drive out the bad, but when used with other herbs like cedar and sweetgrass it can bring optimal positive energy, goodness, and blessings.
A whole religious/cultural ceremony is not always required for this cleansing practice. There are people who smudge after a bad decision was made, a hard day, an argument and many other instances.
I joked with my mom that the Pensacola Bay Center should've been cleansed with sage after a particularly orange hued president's rally. We don't need that energy festering here.
One of these days I'll try my hand at smudging so I'll write more in depth about the process soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment